Australian charged with infecting 3,000 computers

August 13, 2009

(AP) -- A 20-year-old Australian man has been charged with infecting more than 3,000 computers around the world with a virus designed to capture banking and credit card data, police said Thursday.

The man, whose name will not be released until he appears in an Adelaide court on Sept. 4, has been charged with several computer offenses that carry prison terms of up to 10 years, South Australia state Detective Supt. Jim Jeffery said in a statement.

Police also uncovered information that will identify other offenders, Jeffery said.

The man, who lives in the state capital, Adelaide, is also accused of illegally creating a capacity to disable computer systems by bombarding them with unwanted traffic from up to 74,000 computers he controlled around the world. This type of sabotage is known as a distributed denial of service attack.

Police have not said whether the man allegedly used stolen banking information to commit identity fraud.

The arrest followed a three-month investigation involving state and federal crime detectives.

©2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Explore further: California man indicted in 'botnet' case

Related Stories

California man indicted in 'botnet' case

February 11, 2006

A California man was indicted Friday for allegedly creating a "botnet" that used university computer systems and disrupted information technology at a Seattle hospital.

Israeli police probe hi-tech info theft

May 25, 2006

Israel police investigators have detained a man suspected of stealing hi-tech secrets from his employer during the goodbye bash the company threw him.

Japan police struggle against cybercrime

February 24, 2006

Japan may still be one of the safest countries in the world when it comes to violent crime, but the number committed in cyberspace is on the rise, according to the National Police Agency.

Guilty plea in Seattle 'botnet' case

May 5, 2006

A California man pleaded guilty Thursday to charges stemming from a "botnet" attack last year that damaged U.S. Department of Defense computers.

Recommended for you

Microsoft aims at Apple with high-end PCs, 3D software

October 26, 2016

Microsoft launched a new consumer offensive Wednesday, unveiling a high-end computer that challenges the Apple iMac along with an updated Windows operating system that showcases three-dimensional content and "mixed reality."

Making it easier to collaborate on code

October 26, 2016

Git is an open-source system with a polarizing reputation among programmers. It's a powerful tool to help developers track changes to code, but many view it as prohibitively difficult to use.

1 comment

Adjust slider to filter visible comments by rank

Display comments: newest first

not rated yet Aug 13, 2009
Let me guess - there is about to be some media sob story to let this guy off. You know the routine, "he's a nice boy and this was only a silly prank" etc etc

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.