(AP) -- U.S. health officials are no longer recommending that schools close because of swine flu.
The government last week advised schools to shut down for about two weeks if there were suspected cases of swine flu. Hundreds of schools around the country have followed that guidance and closed schools.
Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said Tuesday that the swine flu virus had turned out to be milder than initially feared. She says the government is changing its advice on closing schools.
Sebelius says parents should still make sure to keep sick children at home.
The number of confirmed swine flu cases in the United States is now over 400, with hundreds more probably cases.
©2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Explore further: Expanded hospice improves care but raises Medicare costs