Sexual attitudes changing in South Korea

June 2, 2006

Two-thirds of South Korean college students said premarital sex was acceptable, reflecting an increasingly liberal mindset among Korean youths, a survey showed.

Bien-Aller, a Seoul-based matchmaking company, conducted a survey of 528 male and female college students across the country between April 25 and May 27, the Korea Times reported Friday.

The survey showed that 67.4 percent of respondents said having sex had nothing to do with marriage, while the remaining 32.6 percent said either they would never have premarital sex, or sexual relations were acceptable only if a couple planned to marry.

About 35 percent of 249 male students said it was okay to have sex with someone they loved, whereas 28 percent said sex without love was okay. Nearly 13 percent said they would have sex only with someone they planned to marry.

Of 279 female students, 27 percent said they would have pre-marital sexual relations only with a person they planned to marry, and 17 percent said they would never have sex before marriage.

Male students are more willing to have casual sex than their female counterparts, the survey concluded.

Copyright 2006 by United Press International

Explore further: Unlike boys, girls lose friends for having sex, gain friends for making out

Related Stories

Roots of aggression

August 12, 2015

Why are men more aggressive than women? There are two competing theories. However, a study by Oxford University researchers has found that both may actually be right.

Study reveals risky sex behavior among NYC teens

October 25, 2010

(AP) -- Nearly one-tenth of sexually active New York City high school students say they have had at least one same-sex partner, and teens who say they've had sexual contact with both sexes report higher-than-average rates ...

First sex linked to better body image in men, not women

March 23, 2011

Having sex for the first time can improve or degrade your self-image depending on whether you are male or female, according to Penn State researchers. On average, college-age males become more satisfied with their appearance ...

Recommended for you

Who you gonna trust? How power affects our faith in others

October 6, 2015

One of the ongoing themes of the current presidential campaign is that Americans are becoming increasingly distrustful of those who walk the corridors of power – Exhibit A being the Republican presidential primary, in which ...

Ancient genome from Africa sequenced for the first time

October 8, 2015

The first ancient human genome from Africa to be sequenced has revealed that a wave of migration back into Africa from Western Eurasia around 3,000 years ago was up to twice as significant as previously thought, and affected ...

From a very old skeleton, new insights on ancient migrations

October 9, 2015

Three years ago, a group of researchers found a cave in Ethiopia with a secret: it held the 4,500-year-old remains of a man, with his head resting on a rock pillow, his hands folded under his face, and stone flake tools surrounding ...

Mexican site yields new details of sacrifice of Spaniards

October 9, 2015

It was one of the worst defeats in one of history's most dramatic conquests: Only a year after Hernan Cortes landed in Mexico, hundreds of people in a Spanish-led convey were captured, sacrificed and apparently eaten.


Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.